Texture Terrarium Stitch Along Day 7: Chain Stitch
We'll be using the chain stitch to add the euphorbia cactus in our terrarium. This cactus was modeled after one that lives in my kitchen.
The chain stitch is very similar to the reverse chain stitch we did previously in the Texture Terrarium Stitch Along. This stitch also creates a single strand of chain links.
Watch the video below for how to embroider the chain stitch and scroll down for a step-by-step guide + information on how to join the Textural Terrarium Stitch Along with Pattern Club.
How To Video:
Step By Step Guide:
1. Start by bringing your needle up from the back of the fabric to the front at the point you would like the row of chain stitches to start.
2. Next, hold your thread in direction you would like the chain to go and bring your needle back down through the fabric in the same spot you previously came up. This should make a loop of thread on the front of your fabric.
3. From the back side of the fabric, space out a stitches length (about 1/4 of an inch). Then bring your needle back up through the fabric. Your needle should be along the line you would like the chain row to be stitched and in between the loop of thread.
4. Next, gently tug your thread so that the loop is flush with your fabric. This is now the first link in your chain stitch row.
5. Now add more chains to the row. For the next chain, hold the thread in the direction you would like your row to go and then bring your needle back down through the fabric inside the previous chain link.
6. Next, from underneath your fabric, space out a stitches length and bring the needle up through the fabric and the loop of thread along the path of the chain stitch row. This will be the second link in your chain stitch row.
7. Continue adding chains to your row until it is the desired size. To end the chain stitch row, stitch your last chain stitch. Then bring the needle back through the fabric on the outer edge of the last chain stitch. This will add a short straight stitch to keep your chain links securely in place.
Want to join in the Textural Terrarium Stitch Along? During July 2021 you can join Pattern Club and stitch this design along with us for only $10! If clubs aren't your thing or it's not July, you can purchase the digital pattern here. Then follow along with each blog post to learn how to create each embroidery stitch used in this Textural Terrarium. You can also find more colorful and beginner-friendly embroidery patterns and kits in the MCreativeJ shop.