How to Embroider the Detached Button Hole Fill Stitch
Texture Terrarium Stitch Along Day 11: Detached Button Hole Fill Stitch
We'll be using the detached button hole fill stitch to create the center cactus in our terrarium.
The detached button hole fill stitch actually combines 2 different stitches. This design is raised off of the fabric and looks a bit like netting of fishnet.
Watch the video below for how to embroider the detached button hole fill stitch and scroll down for a step-by-step guide + information on how to join the Textural Terrarium Stitch Along with Pattern Club.
How To Video:
Step By Step Guide:
1. To start outline your shape with the chain stitch.
2. Next, bring the needle up through the middle of a chain stitch on one side of the shape.
3. Bring your needle back down through the chain stitch on the opposite side of your shape, making a long straight stitch across your shape.
4. Next, bring your needle up inside the same chain stitch you just made, slightly above the last stitch you made.
5. Now start stitching the button hole stitch. Bring your needle underneath the inner link of the chain stitch and the straight line. The working thread coming out of the fabric should be underneath the needle. Pull the needle through. Then create your next stitch, working your way along the shape, from one side to the other.
6. When you get to the opposite side of your shape, bring your needle back down inside the first chain stitch (where you started the straight line).
7. Repeat steps 2-6 until you fill the entire shape.
Want to join in the Textural Terrarium Stitch Along? During July 2021 you can join Pattern Club and stitch this design along with us for only $10! If clubs aren't your thing or it's not July, you can purchase the digital pattern here. Then follow along with each blog post to learn how to create each embroidery stitch used in this Textural Terrarium. You can also find more colorful and beginner-friendly embroidery patterns and kits in the MCreativeJ shop.